SciELO - Scientific Electronic Library Online

vol.25 issue2Relación entre síntomas de Síndrome de Intestino Irritable y síntomas depresivos en pacientes hospitalizadosProtocolo para el manejo de la Pancreatitis Aguda grave con necrosis author indexsubject indexarticles search
Home Pagealphabetic serial listing  

Services on Demand




  • Have no cited articlesCited by SciELO

Related links

  • Have no similar articlesSimilars in SciELO


Revista de Gastroenterología del Perú

Print version ISSN 1022-5129


MORAN TISOC, Lucinda et al. Características de la colangiopancreatografía retrógrada endoscópica en un centro de referencia nacional. Rev. gastroenterol. Perú [online]. 2005, vol.25, n.2, pp.161-167. ISSN 1022-5129.

PURPOSE: Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) is a method being used for approximately 30 years, in the diagnosis and treatment of a number of hepatobiliary and pancreatic disorders. This study has been undertaken to analyze ERCP characteristics in a national referential center. MATERIALS AND METHODS: This is a retrospective descriptive study of a transverse section of 1702 patients subjected to CPRE in the Digestive Endoscopy Center of Gastroenterology Service of the Arzobispo Loayza Hospital between 2000 and 2003. RESULTS: A total of 239 ERCPs were carried out in 2000; 553 in 2001; 375 in 2002 and 655 in 2003. Seventy five percent (75%) of the patients were female. Prior to ERCP, 70% echographically presented biliary tract dilation; 44% as the only finding and 26% presented biliary tract dilation associated with other findings, giving a total of 70%. One percent (1%) was emergency ERCP. Forty two point six percent (42.6%) of the ERCPs performed were exclusively for diagnostic purposes, while 54.6% ended up being therapeutic. Once the procedure was completed, the most frequent definite diagnosis was choledocholithiasis (903/1702; 53.06%). Ninety two percent (92%) of the CPREs underwent first level difficulty; 98% passed without complications. In 55% of the cases, sphincterotomy was performed. In 54% of the cases a complete technical success was encountered and clinical success in 84% of the cases. CONCLUSIONS: The referential center of the study was characterized by an oscillating frequency of ERCPs which were frequently and, in a majority, conditioned by choledocholithiasis. Predominantly, the processes were at level one difficulty and in a majority a complete technical success was attained.

Keywords : Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP).

        · abstract in Spanish     · text in Spanish