Revista de Gastroenterología del Perú
ISSN 1022-5129 versión impresa
LEON-BARUA, Raúl, ALVAREZ DE ROIG, Maritza, ROIG-AROSEMENA, Javier et al. Alta capacidad fermentativa de las bacterias colónicas en la génesis de la flatulencia, y su sensibilidad al subsalicilato de bismuto. Rev. gastroenterol. Perú, ene./mar. 2007, vol.27, no.1, p.21-24. ISSN 1022-5129.
Using a previously described technique, "in vitro" determinations were carried out for faecal fermentation (FF): basal faecal fermentation (BFF), i.e, only with faeces, with faeces and lactulose (LFF) and with faeces, lactulose and bismuth subsalicylate (BiLFF) in 34 patients with flatulence. The media+d.s. of the difference between the LFFand BFF levels (LFF-BFF) in patients with flatulence was significant and markedly higher than the respective media +d.s. in 30 normal control patients previously studied (9.1+4.7 vs. 3.9+3.2 ml gas/24 hrs; p<0.000001 respectively). And, although FF was reduced by adding bismuth salicylate in only 24% (70.6%) of the patients with flatulence but not in the remaining 10 (29.4%), in total the media+d.s. of the differences between the levels BiLFF and BFF (BiLFFBFF) was significantly lower that the media+d.s. of the differences between the LFF and BFF levels (LFF-BFF) (6.0+4.2 vs 9.1+4.7 ml gas/24hrs; p<0.01 respectively). These results confirm that: 1) The fermentative capacity of the colonic bacteriae is most likely to be abnormally intense in peoples with flatulence and 2) Bismuth subsalicylate can be useful in the control of excessive colonic fermentation and flatulence; they raise, furthermore, the interesting possibility that we may have found the way to predict when the use of bismuth subsalicylate could be effective in the treatment of a patient with flatulence.
Palabras llave: Colonic bacteria; fermentative capacity; flatulence; bismuth subsalicylate.
Sociedad de Gastroenterología del Perú
Juan Aliaga Nº 204
Lima 17 - Perú
Telf.: 515-264 0015
Fax: 515-264 1400